Messages recorded during the 10:45 am Sunday Worship Service.
Series Title: Special Messages
Messages given on special occasions or not associated with any particular sermon series
by: Caleb Bunch
Scripture Reference: John 15.1-11
gospel, new testament, john
1 True Vine. ...
1 True Vine.
- The Pharisees (and most Jews) believed that their source of spirituality was their ______________.
- The OT occasionally refers to the nation of Israel as a vine. It is always in a ________________ context.
- Isaiah 5:2 “He looked for it to yield grapes, but it yielded ___________ grapes."
- Isaiah 5:7 "For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of ____________."
- What vine are you ______________ in? Every vine other than Jesus is an imposter.
2 Kinds of Branches
- Branches that do not bear fruit.
- These people are not Christians.
- These people are like _________. (compare John 13:10)
- These people are called ____________ apostates (1 John 2:19).
- These people are removed and eventually destroyed (vs. 2, 6)
- Branches that do bear fruit.
- God will do _____________________ in the life of a Christian to make them more like Jesus.
- Pruning often makes us very uncomfortable.
- Pruning usually comes in the form of ______________.
3 Applications of Abiding
- Jesus is speaking to His disciples about this right before He is crucified for a reason. He wants them to be strong in their __________________________.
- Rely on Christ for EVERYTHING
- I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do _______________. (John 15:5)
- Do not lose focus.
- Hebrews 12:1-2 Fix your eyes on Jesus.
- Sin abounds when you stop looking at Jesus and start looking at ________________________.
4 Benefits of Abiding
- Bearing much fruit (vs 5)
- The fruit of the Spirit brings about pleasure and satisfaction.
- Prayers are answered (vs 7)
- If you ask anything in accordance with His will. (John 14:14)
- Bask in His love (vs 9-10)
- His love is always the motivation for true _________________. (John 14:15, 1 John)
- Fullness of Joy